I've seen post after post about people giving up negativity for Lent. Claiming you want to is the first step, but once you're in, how exactly do you do it?
Here are 5 ways to avoid negativity.
- Be slow to speak: Think about the words you will say after someone is done talking. Our first words often aren't our best. Once we've adopted a negative lifestyle, almost 100% of what we say is a negative, cynical comment. A little thinking allows wisdom to prevail.
- Be quick to listen: Not just as an exercise, but real, active listening. Maybe ask a question about what you just heard, nod your head at the appropriate time or ask the speaker to expound on their subject.
- Drop the need to be right: A know-it-all comes across negatively. How often do you find yourself saying, " I just love Susie. She knows everything and enthralls us moment by moment with her fascinating facts and opinions on everything, even stuff she knows absolutely nothing about."?
- Practice: Listen to the news, radio or podcasts without forming thoughts and opinions until after the speaker is finished speaking.
- Believe: Know that you can choose to be positive. Know that you're giving a positively wonderful gift to others!
What do you need to work on most?